Most people know diet and exercise influence weight loss … but do you know that stress and weight loss are also connected? Stress can lead to accumulation of visceral fat, preference for high-sugar and high-fat foods and can affect hormone levels.
High stress levels increase cortisol which may increase abdominal fat, the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension, Dyslipidemia, and Cardiovascular disease. During stressful times, your hunger and fullness hormones are out of balance. This can lead to a lower satiating effect of foods and consumption of high-sugar and high-fat foods. Research has shown that consuming comfort foods as a response to stress activates the brain reward system and encourages people to continue to consume these foods to cope with stress.
Tips to Reduce Stress and Weight Loss Will Follow!
- Consume a healthy, balanced diet.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco products.
- Try relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, imagery, and meditation.
- Create a schedule and to do list.
- Do not be afraid to say no to demands on your time and energy that will place too much stress on you.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- Reserve time to take care of yourself and do activities you enjoy.
Someone who is stressed will have a difficult time being successful in losing weight. At AZ Dietitians, we specialize in all areas of health and wellness, including weight management. Simply contact us today to schedule an appointment and we can work together to find YOUR optimal health solution.